Programme Date: 25-27 March 2014
Understanding and building narratives using various forms of data is a critical component of practice. However, practitioners often face challenges in the process of collating, translating and effectively communicating complex information, using diverse media.
This course highlights the importance of using data in the context of urban and development sectors, and trains learners to build and share narratives around it, using a structured process.
The course will familiarise learners with human-centric theoretical frameworks as well as contemporary tools in data analysis and visualisation, with a diverse set of cases and examples. At the end of the course, learners will be equipped to work with spatial, quantitative and qualitative data to create simple, comprehensible and compelling narratives.
The course is targeted at early stage researchers, PhD students and learners with Masters degrees working as research
assistants or research associates in universities, think tanks, multilaterals, media etc. Learners should have a basic level
of quantitative literacy and should be comfortable with working with large datasets in Excel.
- Ability to build narratives using different forms of data
- Skills to analytically read and create infographics
- Understanding principles of graphical excellence
- Hands-on training of tools for analysing and creating spatial, quantitative and informational graphics
- Skills to integrate spatial and quantitative tools for visualisation and analysis
- Gaining experience in tools such as Microsoft Office, CartoDB, Google Earth, etc.
Format and Schedule
The course is broadly structured around 3 modules:
- Foundations and principles of Data Visualisation
- Building capacity with DV tools and practice
- Collaborative group work, iterative presentations and feedback
Tuesday 25 Mar 2014
Wednesday 26 Mar 2014
Thursday 27 Mar 2014
|0930 – 1130||Introduction||Quantitative Data Visualisation I||Group exercise: Building Narratives|
|1130 – 1145||Break|
|1145 – 1300||Story Telling using Data||Quantitative Data Visualisation II – working with tools||Interim presentation to an external panel of experts|
|1300 – 1400||Lunch|
|1400 – 1600||Elements of Data Visualisation||Spatial Data Visualisation I||Group exercise: Preparing presentations|
|1600 – 1615||Break|
|1615 – 1730||Qualitative Data Visualisation||Spatial Data Visualisation II – working with tools||Final presentations to external panel of experts|
- Working professionals – ₹ 12,000/-
- Students – ₹ 9,000/-
- OECD country participants – ₹ 15,000/-
Early-bird discount: ₹ 2,000/-
- Course dates – 25 – 27 March, 2014
- Last date for applications – 11 March,2014
- Early-bird application date – 4 march, 2014